February 17, 2009

CANCON

This is asinine, ill-conceived and well, annoying. I can remember back in the day when there had to be a certain number of Canadian songs each hour on the radio. Really? If I want to listen to Celine Dion, I'll buy the album, thanks very much. But don't make me listen to her...

And yes, as consumers of media and information, we do have choice. We go elsewhere. And it's not possible to regulate in the Internet, that is what makes it so powerful: "But the groups acknowledge that there's no clear answer as to how the Internet or mobile receiving devices such as cellphones could be regulated by the CRTC."


UPDATE:
A colleague asked me why I'm opposed to CANCON. Not the case, so to amplify I think supporting and promoting Canadian artists is still a good idea. My point was that you can't regulate the Internets. How do you legislate virtual entropy?


No comments: