If you're interested in Social Web and Online Identity Management - and you should be, then I would suggest checking out Jeremiah's work and thoughts. You can follow him on Twitter, too.
He's going to be here in #YYC next week for a conference and, as a Forrester client, we get to meet him for a chat.
His latest paper talks about the future (and evolution) of Social Web. He describes as five eras:
1) Era of Social Relationships: People connect to others and share
2) Era of Social Functionality: Social networks become like operating system
3) Era of Social Colonization: Every experience can now be social
4) Era of Social Context: Personalized and accurate content
5) Era of Social Commerce: Communities define future products and services
We're in Era 2 at the moment, where social networks have evolved beyond just making friends. They've turned into platforms that support social interactive applications. Cool stuff.
UPDATE: Real world examples of said Era.