I thought however that it was missing a few things:
- There is nothing about where Usability and user testing fits into the process - which could be at multiple touchpoints.
- What about mobile in the process? This can start in the Information Architecture stage and carry on. I'm a strong proponent of the 'Mobile First' approach to Design.
- Always important to think about Domain Name strategy, to register Social handles, and to start the infrastructure and hosting conversations early on.
- During the Planning phase, a discussion of high-level metrics and Key Performance Indicators.
- Prototype Development for optional User Testing.
- In addition to browser testing, peripheral and load testing is important dependent on the size of the site.
- Often forgotten is the insertion of metadata (which should be written with the copydeck, and is critical for SEO) and tracking tags for reporting & analytics.
- Social Platform integration as required.
There are tons of these models and processes out there, including some oldies.
I built one awhile back, more for internal purposes, that merged New Product Development methods (Research, Plan, Test) with a standard software development model - the 5D's (Discover, Define, Design, Develop, Deploy). In the end, I made it way too complicated.
That's why I like this one. I'll keep it handy in case this question comes up from a client.